Monday 19 January 2015

Empowering Women and a Culture of Non-Violence Right Here at Home

Kelowna has been in the news recently. And not necessarily in a positive light. Castanet's headline read "Domestic Violence Capital of BC".

Ouch! That is not something to be proud of. In fairness, the article goes on to suggest that these statistics may not mean that Kelowna has a higher rate of domestic violence but it may suggest that more of the domestic violence here is reported than in other communities.

Either way, I pause and I take a moment to envision a world where there is no such thing as domestic violence. Where there is peace within each person, there is peace within each family, and there is loving support for families in every community.

It is very timely that there is a new group starting within the Centre for Spiritual Living Kelowna. The group is called "A New Beginning" and it is being facilitated by one of our newly licensed ministers Reverend Corina Scherer. The purpose of this group is to create a safe and supportive environment for women to become empowered and to reconnect with the divine essence within them.

I am very excited about this new group because I think it strikes right at the core of what our new thought spiritual community is all about. We are all about helping each other to remember that there is a Divine Light within us. We are all about creating a healing and empowering space for people.

Rev. Corina's own story is one of not only surviving but thriving. With the help of supportive friends she escaped an abusive marriage and started on her own journey of healing and empowerment. This journey led her all the way into ministry and she is now holding the space for others.

In her own words "I learned that I wasn’t alone.  There were people that wanted to help me succeed.  I learned about unconditional love and friendship.  I learned that I had choices and was the creator of my own experiences.  I was a victor, not a victim.  I was able to change my thinking, and as a result, change my life.  I want to help others learn that life is for living and that happiness is already within each and every one of us.  There is always a solution to every situation.  There are principles and tools available to help us connect and be positive, and to heal, 
and to find peace".

"A New Beginning" Women's circle starts this Friday January 23 at 5 pm at the Pandosy Peace Centre. It will be held on the 4th Friday of every month. If you, or someone you know, could use some support in making changes in your own life, please join Rev. Corina. You can contact Corina directly at corinascherer@telus.net for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment